Friday, July 31, 2009

Lost

Oh, what an afternoon it was.
We started to realize that the cat hadn't been seen in quite a while, and around the same time, Nate came in with a freshly picked bowl of tomatoes. After an extremely extensive search of our entire house, we figured that Harry had escaped when Nate was outside, via the back door that was most likely left open.
This was not good.
We walked the neighborhood in the 95 degree summer heat looking for a lost cat---our lost cat. After a solid hour of searching, (with a few caring neighbors) a drive around the neighborhood, and tears starting to flow from the boys and myself, we needed to step our plan and get LOST signs in the area. How far could he have gone in this heat? He doesn't even know the neighborhood and he must be so scared. I was feeling sick to my stomach at the thought of having to call the very nice couple who gave us the cat and telling them that we had failed only 4 hours into being Harry's parents. Dan ran to his office to print our flyers, and I gave the boys some dinner. I went back outside by myself to call for kitty.
When I came back in, Nate told me that he heard a cat meow. I told him it was probably just me, calling for the cat in the alley. He didn't take my answer and he got up from the table and walked back to their bedroom. There was Harry, sitting up tall on Christopher's bed looking as if he'd just woken up from a good nap. Where he was we'll never know. Our sad tears changed to happy tears, and we called Dan and told him to stop the presses.

No comments: