Monday, January 21, 2008

mmmmm........donuts!


This morning I flashed back to 1977 in Salem, Oregon. I have fond memories of these donuts that my mom would make for us on the weekends. The recipe was VERY easy, and in hind-sight, VERY bad. Vegetable oil, Pillsbury pop biscuits, powdered sugar. That's it. Heat up the oil, make a hole in the biscuit by stretching the dough, and then toss into hot oil. Shake the sugar on them in a bag. I remember that we had a school carnival at our elementary school (go Brush College Bulldogs!) and that we introduced the Slater family donuts to half of West Salem. People took turns frying these things and selling them for .5cents each at the carnival---a big money maker! I have not had one of these little gems for probably a good 25 years. It all changed today though when I realized that I had some tubes of the Pillsbury dough left over from a recipe last month. Time to use them up! The boys thought it was so much fun being donut makers. Their important job was shaking the powdered sugar to coat them. They loved them! I guess this is how traditions carry on.

1 comment:

CrazyTravelers said...

Yummy! They look very tasty. Thanks for introducing us to a fun tradition! - Auntie Leann