Thursday, November 22, 2012

What I'm Thankful for this Thanksgiving

Yes, I'm thankful for a lot of things this year.  My amazing boys, loving husband, a job, a home, great friends, etc.  The list could go on and on and I really mean that.
However, this year I am feeling beyond grateful and thankful for my sidekicks throughout life...my siblings.
Greg, Kathy, Mark, Susan...in that order.  With a  span of only 4 1/2 years between the four of us, we grew up as a group.  Early on, I would say that the dynamic was that Greg and Susan would 'team up', and Mark and I would as well (bookends vs. the middles).  Growing up, we had  fights and disagreements that are typical with  any siblings~but we've always had each other's backs. We are the Slater kids.
 Each of my siblings is such a gift.  Brother Greg, the oldest, is the picture perfect example of the first born.  Extremely smart, capable, and successful.  As the oldest he has been working tirelessly to manage the estate for my dad since he passed away last year.  My favorite memory of Greg from childhood is him being Eeyore, and giving us rides on his back around the house.  A great brother, indeed.  He can always be counted on...and looked up to like a big brother should.  He is solid. 
Mark, my younger brother.  We've always been tight, and I would say that our temperaments are the most similar between all my siblings.  All I have to say to him is "oh, yah", or 'strawberry", or "you watch it!", or "don't try to be a hero" and he knows.  He's incredibly good at staying quiet when I relentlessly probe him about his work; he doesn't budge.  Mark  makes me smile.  He's a good egg.  He's a "getter' done!" kind of guy.
Susie.  The baby of the family, and she fit that role to a T.  She has always been  the little sister.  She was the cheerleader, the social queen, and the sibling with the most spunk.  We shared a room and got along as children, but our connection then is nothing like our relationship as adults. We are tight.  We talk at least 2x a day, and would be lost without each other.  Susie is one tough cookie and always finds a way to make lemonade out of lemons.  She is such an inspiration to so many.  Susan is all about STRENGTH .  She is awesome...she is my sister.
With the loss now of both mom and dad in the past year and a half, we have been through some tough moments together...more than most siblings will probably ever endure together as adults. But we were able to handle ourselves with grace, respect, love and support.  I know that not many families could have gone through what we have,  and come out even stronger on the other side.  We are blessed.
Our mom and dad gave each of us so much over the years~unconditional love, guidance, support.   But the greatest gift that they gave us is the gift of each other.  We are 4 lucky kids!
For that, I am thankful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, indeed. This is the stuff of wonderments and admirations...you all carry forward the essence of Family!