Monday, January 11, 2010

Some things are worth keeping

Yesterday we went to Salem to celebrate Grandma's 66th (shhhh!) birthday. She had lots of help with blowing out her candles.
Uncle Mark started a trip down memory lane and was in the back bedroom looking through the old wood storage box that is in the closet. Yearbooks from Walker, Pee-Chee's with school work in them, Mt. St. Helen's ash in jars, pennants from the Oakland A's championship in the 70's, etc. were all there stuck in time. We had a few good laughs. Then my mom disappeared to her room and quickly returned with a folded, and somewhat tattered piece of paper that she shared with us.
(double click on image to enlarge)
It was a letter, dated October of 1980, which Mr. Warren, the middle school Vice Principal, composed and mailed to my mom. (I love that it's typewritten)
She has treasured it for 30 years.
As a parent now myself, I can see why.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is a letter to treasure, for sure. And I have to say that you and Dan are doing an equally awesome job with the two you are raising so beautifully. You parent with patience and grace, and of course so much love. Great job!