Tuesday, September 8, 2009

now I get it.

Yep, that's me on the my first day as a first grade teacher back in 1997.
Today is the first day of school for most kids in Oregon, and even though I have not been in the classroom for 5 years, I still get that 'first day of school' feeling on the day after Labor Day.
It also reminds me of each year as the new kindergarten kiddos and their parents would walk past my classroom to get down to the kindergarten classrooms at Aloha Park Elementary.
New backpacks, shiny shoes, and a tight grip on mom's hand. Then, after about 15 minutes those same moms would walk right back past my classroom by themselves, wiping away the tears from their faces.
I could never totally empathize with those moms. I knew their kids would love school. They'll be fine. It was a good thing. Their children were in the best hands.
But now I get it. My turn will be this Friday.

1 comment:

emmi said...

Amen. I get it as well. Mia starts next week. I am a wreck. She is not. :) I am sure your boys will be rockstars.

By the way, surprise! I read your blog. :) I love the picture.

Emily Mickelsen