Friday, June 27, 2008

it's the little things in life

My sister Susan is spending the week in Houston, Texas. No, it's not a fun vacation. She is down there because her very good friend Heather's daughter, Sarah, (age 7) was recently diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor and she is going through very intense radiation treatment. Susan and another friend, Tori, flew out from Seattle to offer support and a bit of comic relief as the Hughes family begins this journey. This little story was in my e-mailbox this morning and it put a smile on my face as I start this day. I hope it does the same for you.

Yesterday was a gray day. Pouring rain, thunder and lightning nonstop. It was the day of Heather's sister's wedding and not being there was clearly weighing on her mind all day.

While sitting at dinner, Sarah remembered that she was suppose to be wearing a special dress and be at the wedding. We said it wasn't too late. We headed up to the room where she put on her dress planned for the wedding. Heather, Tori and I put on dresses and we proudly marched down to Bingo night in the hotel lobby for a little "girls night out".


It wasn't long until Sarah grew crabby and tired of playing since she wasn't winning. I offered to watch over one of her cards for her. We each had 3 cards. I have never willed a bingo win so hard in my life. I was desperately hoping to win, for her. Sarah was antsy, wanting to move on, tired of playing. It isn't fun when you are a kid and you don't win.

My numbers kept coming and I kept hoping, please oh please oh please. Finally...O 63!

I moved my card into the spot where I had Sarah's card and said "Sarah! You got it! Your card got the BINGO!" She was thrilled. The big winner!!! She got to yell "BINGO!" The whole lobby cheered. She received her gift certificate for breakfast for two, people stopped by our table to congratulate her, she was all smiles. BINGO. Sometimes it's the little things in life.

No comments: